- Bio-inspired underwater robots
- Mechanical design
- Multi-physics analysis
- Experimental validation
The Machine Mechanics group, in collaboration with the Automation group headed by Prof. Scaradozzi, manufactured three ostraciiform AUVs. A novel transmission system has been installed in the tails of these robots: this mechanism has been designed to transform the continuous rotation of an electric motor, in the harmonic oscillation of the robot fin. The propulsive forces generated by the fin have been computed by computationale fluid dynamics techniques and the predicted results have been experimentally validated. The vehicle dynamics has been solved using multi-body analysis while the whole simulation process has allowed the development of a sizing method for ostraciiform swimming robots. At the present moment, the group is developing a transmission system suited to thunniform locomotion.
Robot biomimetico BRAVe presentato alla competizione tra veicoli sottomarini autonomi, SAUC-E 2016, presso il CMRE di la Spezia
Compartimento propulsivo e trasmissione meccanica dei robot Ostraciiformi
Robot biomimetico educativo GUIZZO
Trasmissione meccanica in studio per propulsione Thunniforme
- Scaradozzi, D., Palmieri, G., Costa, D., & Pinelli, A. (2017). BCF swimming locomotion for autonomous underwater robots: a review and a novel solution to improve control and efficiency. Ocean Engineering, 130, 437-453.
- Costa, D., Palmieri, G., Palpacelli, M. C., Callegari, M., & Scaradozzi, D. (2016, August). Design of a bio-inspired underwater vehicle. In Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA), 2016 12th IEEE/ASME International Conference on (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Scaradozzi, D., Palmieri, G., Costa, D., Zingaretti, S., Panebianco, L., Ciuccoli, N., … & Callegari, M. (2017). UNIVPM BRAVe: A Hybrid Propulsion Underwater Research Vehicle. International Journal of Automation Technology (IJAT), 11(3), 404-414.
- Costa, D., Palmieri, G., Palpacelli, M. C., Panebianco, L., & Scaradozzi, D. (2018). Design of a bio-inspired autonomous underwater robot. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 91(2), 181-192.
- Costa, D., Palmieri, G., Callegari, M., Scaradozzi, D., “Functional Design of a Biomimetic Flapper: Proceedings of the 4th IFToMM Symposium on Mechanism Design for Robotics”, 2018.
- Costa, D., Franciolini, M., Palmieri, G., Crivellini, A., & Scaradozzi, D. (2017, December). Computational fluid dynamics analysis and design of an ostraciiform swimming robot. In Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), 2017 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 135-140). IEEE.